We encourage people of all ages to engage with sculpture as learners, thinkers and makers.
Get the most out of your visit to the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds, with our free activities and family-friendly resources.
The Henry Moore Institute is closed for refurbishment until summer 2024.
Our next research season, ‘Brâncuși and Britain’, will be running off-site from February to June 2024, with online discussions and in-person conferences.
What you can expect when we reopen
We’re converting one of our current staff meeting spaces into a brand new, multifunctional learning and engagement facility.
We’ll use this to better accommodate school visits, as well as hosting creative workshops, discussions and events.
When we reopen in summer 2024, you’ll find a lot of other improvements to our building:
- A refreshed area on the ground floor (our ‘alcove’) that allows us to continue to offer free, creative drop-in activities for all visitors.
- We’ll also continue to offer Explorer Bag for younger visitors.
- Inclusive, fully accessible toilets with baby changing facilities.
- A more welcoming entrance area with seating, designed to be a meeting point.
- Improvements to our shop, with more on offer for younger visitors to inspire making and sculpting.
- We’ll continue to run free, artist-led creative family workshops during the school holidays in Leeds.
While we are closed
We will be running an off-site research season, ‘Brâncuși and Britain’, from February to June 2024. It will feature online discussions and in-person events that examine Romanian sculptor Constantin Brâncuși’s (1876-1957) life and work from a contemporary viewpoint.
Our engagement programme with schools and community groups will also continue to operate off-site around Leeds. More details on how you can get involved will be posted here soon.
Facilities at the Institute
Step free access
Visitors who prefer a step-free entrance can use the accessible entrance on Cookridge Street and take the lift to bring you onto the ground floor where you will find all the Galleries on the same floor.
There is a passenger lift to all other floors, measuring 100cm wide by 136cm deep, with a doorway 72cm wide.
Toilets and baby changing facilities
As part of our refurbishment we’re upgrading our facilities to inclusive, fully accessible toilets with baby changing facilities.
Unfortunately we do not have storage facilities for luggage or pushchairs, however at less busy times it may be possible to leave them by the welcome desk while you visit – please ask a member of staff first, and remember to take any valuables with you. All items are left at the owner’s risk.
Tell us how we can help
We are keen to make it as easy as possible for you to visit with your family.